The GST Application(Goods and service tax) has replaced the existing indirect taxes levied by the central and state governments and is now the single indirect tax for the entire country. The GST number is a must to own by business owners if they have a certain financial turnover. However, there are still many taxpayers who are unaware of how the GST works. Some people still don’t know what the GST number is. Apart from that, applying for the GST number and how to track the same are some of the common questions asked by the taxpayers.
To first answer the question, what is GST number? It is a 15 digit PAN-based unique number issued by the government of India to the business owners. Before obtaining the GST number, the taxpayer first has to register himself on the official portal by providing the necessary information and uploading the required documents. After submitting the same, an application reference number (ARN) is generated. It is basically a GST application track number. If the application is approved, the taxpayer is issued a GST number.
Different methods of tracking the GST number
1. Without logging in the portal
Taxpayers can access their GST application status without logging into the portal as well. You need your GST application track number or the application reference number (ARN) and follow the following steps :
- Go to the website www.gst.gov.in.
- Go to the services tab. In the service tab, there will be a “Registration “ option in the dropdown list.
- Click on the registration tab.
- There you will see the “Track application status “ option.
- Below this, you will see an ARN (Application reference number ) box where you have to put your ARN number and click on the “search “ button.
- The status of your GST application will be displayed on the screen.
2. With valid login credentials
- Go to the official website www.gst.gov.in
- Login there with your credentials.
- Now go on the “service tab” and click on the “registration”.
- There you will see “Track application status “. Once you click on that, you will see two options: ARN and Submission period.
- In the case of ARN, enter the ARN number given to you in your mail id and click search.
- In the case of the submission period, select the period using the calendar option given. Once chosen, click on the search button.
- The application status will be displayed on the screen.
Through Temporary Reference Number (TRN)
- Go to the official website www.gst.gov.in.
- On the homepage, you will find the “Register now “ link.
- After clicking on that, select the temporary reference number tab.
- Enter the TRN and click on proceed.
- Now, there will be a mobile/email id option where an OTP would be received. Enter the OTP and click on proceed. If you don’t receive the OTP in 10 mins, click on the “click here to resend the OTP Link”.
- Now you will see the “ My saved Application “ page. You can check the status of the GST application in the status column.
The final words
The taxpayer can use any of the above methods for tracking the GST application status. The status update may be provisional, pending verification, validation error, or canceled. Check the status carefully and if needed, then provide additional information.