OnePlus 8 Pro is the latest smartphone from OnePlus. It has a host of new features that make it stand out from the competition. The current article is intended to be a complete guide on the OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone. it provides details about how to root the OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone, how to take screenshots on it, how to perform a factory reset and soft reset on it.
How to Root OnePlus 8 Pro
Rooting your Android smartphone makes it more versatile and customizable. The process of rooting your OnePlus 8 Pro and the other salient details related to it are discussed below:
- Tap on the “Settings” and go to the “About Phone Option”.
- Scroll to the “Build Number” and tap it 7-8 times. You will get a message “You are now a developer” meaning the developer options are now enabled.
- Go back to “settings” and click on “Developer Options”.
- Enable the “OEM Unlocking”, “USB Debugging”, and “Advance Reboot” from the menu.
- Long press the power key and select “Bootloader” from the menu.
- Your phone will now open in the Fastboot/Bootloader mode. Connect the phone to your computer.
- Open the command (CMD) window on your computer and type “fastboot devices”.
- Type “fastboot OEM unlock” to unlock the bootloader.
- Download the firmware and extract the zip file. There will be a file named “boot.img”. Copy it to your smartphone.
- Download and install the Magisk Manager.
- Once installed, open the Magisk Manager app and click on Install Magisk.
- You will get a select method menu, choose “select and patch a file” from it.
- Browse and choose the “boot.img” file that you copied to your smartphone. It will produce a file- “magisk_patched.img” in the download folder.
- Transfer the “magisk_patched.img” file to the folder C:/adb.
- Boot the device to Fastboot by using “advanced reboot menu”
- Connect your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone to the computer and type the command “fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img”. This command will flash the patched boot image file.
- Type the command “fastboot reboot” to reboot to system.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and check the rooting status.
Pros of Rooting Your OnePlus 8 Pro
Rooting your smartphone provides you developer and administrator options that are otherwise not available. You can get complete control over which apps to install and decide how they work. It allows you the flexibility to achieve better battery management and app optimization. You can control features like processor power, RAM, battery management, etc. To gain better control over the working of your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone. Rooting allows you to remove pre-installed apps on the phone.
You can install custom ROMs on your phone and increase its processing power and overall functioning. The phone can be customized to a much greater extent to suit your needs after rooting it. You can improve the working and lifespan of your smartphone by optimizing its performance by rooting it.
Cons of Rooting Your OnePlus 8 Pro
While rooting a phone opens new possibilities for you, it also comes with a few downsides. The biggest drawback of rooting your OnePlus 8 Pro is that you will lose the manufacturer’s warranty. A rooted phone cannot be serviced under the terms of the warranty. It can also affect the contract that you enter into while buying a phone. If you have bought the phone under a lease or payments, then you will be most likely breaching the contract. You can install custom ROMs and apps on your rooted OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone.
However, it may require you to install these from untrusted sources that can infect your phone with malware and viruses. You can also damage your smartphone while rooting due to the technicalities involved. Once damaged during rooting, your phone will not be serviceable under the original warranty.
Considerations Before Rooting Your Smartphone
You should ensure that a few basic considerations are met before you root your phone. the rooting process will generally take a long time. If your phone is not sufficiently charged during the process, it may get turned off while being rooted. This may cause irreparable damage. Hence, it is strongly recommended that your phone should be at least 80% charged before you attempt to root it. Your data may be at risk when you root your smartphone. You must take data backup before rooting it. Even if the data is lost, you can restore your phone back to its original state if data backup is available.
Rooting your smartphone is a technical process. You should do it only when you know the entire process and the technicalities involved. This will reduce the chances of your smartphone getting damaged while you root it.
How to Take Screenshot on OnePlus 8 Pro
You may want to capture important information for future reference or immediate sharing. Taking a screenshot helps you do so instantly. Each smartphone has its own unique features and settings for capturing screenshots. There are many ways for taking screenshots on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone which are detailed below:
Using Hardware Keys
You can take a screenshot on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone using the hardware keys. The process for the same is as follows:
- Open the application or screen you want to take the screenshot of.
- Press and hold the power button and the volume down button for nearly 2 seconds.
- You will see a flash on your phone’s screen and hear a feedback sound, denoting that the screenshot has been successfully captured.
Three Finger Gesture
Another intuitive way of capturing screenshots on OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone is through a three-finger gesture. You can follow the below-mentioned steps for capturing screenshots using this method:
- Open the app drawer and go to “Settings”.
- Go to “Gestures” under the settings tab.
- Go to “Quick Gestures” and enable the “Three Finger Gesture” toggle key.
- Now you can start taking screenshots with three-finger gestures. To get started open the screen you want to capture in the screenshot.
- Place three fingers on the screen and quickly swipe downward.
- You will see a quick animation and flash on your screen meaning the screenshot has been captured.
How to Factory Reset OnePlus 8 Pro
Doing a factory reset on your Android smartphone restores it to the original factory settings it shipped with. It will erase the entire data stored on a smartphone. The different methods of doing a factory reset on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone and other salient details related to the same are discussed below:
The first method involves doing a factory reset on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone using the recovery mode. You should follow the below-mentioned steps for doing so:
- Switch off the smartphone by pressing the power button and volume up button at the same time. Wait for a few seconds after the phone is switched off.
- Power on the phone by pressing the power and volume down button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Once the OnePlus logo appears on the screen, release all the buttons.
- Choose the language as English.
- Enter your passcode.
- Select OK and tap twice on the screen.
- Your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone will be factory reset after performing these steps. You can install the apps and customize it again based on your preferences.
The second method of doing a factory reset on the OnePlus 8 Pro is through the setting tab. This is the easiest way to do a factory reset. The process for the same is as follows:
- Swipe up the screen and search for the “Settings” button.
- Tap on the “settings” button and scroll down for the “System” tab.
- Tap on the “System” and choose “Reset Options” in the next menu.
- Click on the “Reset Options” and choose “Erase All Data”.
- Click on the “Erase Internal Storage” and tap on the “Erase All Data” tab.
- Wait for the hard reset to complete. You have now successfully completed a factory reset on your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone.
The third way to do a factory reset on the OnePlus 8 Pro is by using the recovery mode. It is also known as the master reset. This is a more technical way of doing a factory reset and you should do it carefully. The below-mentioned steps should be followed for doing the factory reset using this method:
- Switch off your phone by pressing the power button and the volume up button at the same time.
- Wait for a few seconds once the phone is switched off.
- Now start the phone by pressing the power key and the volume down button simultaneously.
- When you see the Fastboot Mode appear on the screen, let go of all the buttons immediately.
- Select the “Recovery” option by using the volume up and volume down keys for scrolling. Press the power key to confirm.
- Draw you unlock pattern or type the passcode.
- Tap twice on the screen for choosing OK.
- Wait for some time till the factory reset is complete. Restart the phone and you will get your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone with original factory settings.
When to Do a Factory Reset
It is common for us to install various apps on our Android smartphones. Many of these apps may have some technical issues that can lead to malfunctioning of your phone. In some cases, your smartphone may not work properly after a software update. These issues can arise due to the incompatibility of the app or software update with your smartphone.
Sometimes it is not possible to eliminate these technical issues arising from software update or installation of apps from untrusted sources. You will need to do a factory reset to restore your smartphone to the original condition and settings it shipped in.
A factory reset is also recommended before selling your phone. you should do a factory reset that will wipe out all your personal data, settings, profile passwords, etc. on your smartphone. This will protect you from your confidential data breach.
Considerations Before Doing a Factory Reset
Doing a factory reset erases all the data stored on it. However, your pre-installed apps and the operating system will not be wiped. Hence, it is important to backup all your data before doing a factory reset. You can take data backup on an external flash drive or keep it on a secure cloud storage platform. Make a list of what you want to backup. You can use Google Photos to securely backup all your photographs. Taking a data backup ensures that you do not lose your invaluable data after doing a factory reset. It also helps to easily restore your smartphone to its status before performing the factory reset.
The factory reset may take some time to complete. You should ensure that your OnePlus 8 Pro smartphone is sufficiently charged before performing the factory reset. If the phone gets switched off before the process is completed, it can get damaged. Another important consideration is that the factory reset should not be done regularly. It should not be performed on your smartphone for resolving minor issues.
How to Reboot/Restart OnePlus 8 Pro
Rebooting/restarting your OnePlus 8 Pro is a simple way to resolve minor performance issues and technical glitches. You may experience that sometimes your smartphone may hang and does not respond. Some of the apps may freeze and not perform optimally. Rebooting or doing a soft reset on your smartphone can help to resolve these minor issues. A soft reset does not erase data from your phone and there is no need for taking data backup before doing it. Rebooting your OnePlus 8 Pro is simple, and you can do so by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Press the power button and volume up keys of your phone simultaneously.
- Wait for some time before your phone is switched off.
- Once the phone is switched off, wait for some time.
- Press the power button to switch on the phone.
- Your OnePlus 8 Pro has successfully rebooted. You will observe that the minor performance issues have been addressed and your phone will be running smoothly.